Jun 9, 2009

May Your Bread...Rise

So I have been playing around with simple soda bread. We were out of bread the other night, the shop was closed, and we had ingredients to make it. Flour, kefir, salt, baking soda. Note: Baking soda in Estonia is inactive, one must squeeze a bit of lemon on it to make it bubble! I am trying to keep all my cooking projects within the Estonian echelon, so even though soda bread is connected to the Irish tradition, Estonians indeed make simple bread with their beloved kefir. I have no experience making bread, and my two attempts so far have been edible but by no means great. Too doughy. Any suggestions? Please help!

We are going to Tartu on Friday to go to the Farmer's Market and to fetch 6 lbs of rye flour to attempt Estonian rye bread. Here is my inspiration, the lovely Ilme's delicious bread from the Estonian dinner at Navarre.


I have updated the past post about the dinner as well.

1 comment:

eku said...

baking soda + citric acid= baking powder
baking soda (sodium bicarbonate aka NaHCO3 ) citric acid (C6H8O7). u can buy soda and make all kind of stuff with this (besides making baking powder you can clean dirty pots, soften hard water, remove mold, remove bad smell, etc)